<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13478839/?claim=35un6cvtj5u”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
So, today it snowed. (Well, actually it was yesterday, it took me a while to type this…. But, I digress)
I was surprised.
Yes, they have been threatening it for weeks, but still, it came as something of a shock.
It wasn’t too bad around 7:30, a light dusting here & there but then somewhere between then and 8am (heralded by thunder & lightning!) the skies opened. By 8:15, roads were at standstill; there were accidents here, there & everywhere and my usual 5 minute commute to work took 50!!
Poor Teen2 (who should have been at school at 8:35, for a 9am exam) finally got dropped off around 9:15 and it’s anyone’s guess what time the OH got to work…
It was only after I got in & changed that I remembered agreeing “Yeah sure! Of course I’ll empty, clean & refill the fryer tomorrow. No problem!”
So, in terms of a day, mine wasn’t shaping up all that great 😉
So it was Fan-bloody-tastic to come home to this:
So what was it, you ask?
Well, shortly before Christmas I entered a few of the lovely Clare’s giveaways over on MakingLivingDoing
And guess what? I won TWO ! Yayy Me!!!
Inside I discovered:
And beneath the paper straw, all manner of treats…
So, a big Thank You to Clare! I adore my fabulous prizes & really appreciate them
PLUS: Her blog is really funny – she’s an absoloute hoot – BONUS!! If you haven’t visited yet, you totally have to! 🙂
Now, it has been brought to my attention that the Linky bit to find the delectable Clare isn’t ‘looking’ right. I have followed all the instructions (thrice!) but can’t get it to do what I want it to do and make it appear as it should (ya know : wee clickable linky thing amidst my prose…) As a newbie to this whole WordPress malarky, any pointers would be gratefully received!
As always, Thanks for reading!
So, how have those daily/ weekly/ monthly challenges been going, you ask? Bloomin’ Brilliantly!!
The twice daily flossing hit a snag the night I got to bed around 4:30am but Operation Drink-loadsa-water is going altogether more swimmingly (tea counts as water, right?)
On the Weekly front, things are going much better; having managed both penpal & letters, at least one new recipe (MUG CAKES! – more about those later) , a couple of blog posts and a wee make. Wheww!
So yeah, MUG CAKES! Yes, they ARE a thing and YES, they involve what is QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST DANGEROUS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE IN THE WORLD (partly due to to posserchancity of it exploding in your microwave; but mostly because you are never more than 4 minutes away from Chocolate Cake and that my friend, is a very dangerous place to be.)
Essentially, they are a single(?)serve cake that you make in a mug, in the microwave. In under 4 minutes. Cake. In under 4 minutes.
It involves a fair bit of trial & error but our first attempt worked out surprisingly well. Teen2 had just swum home from his first day back at school (possibly using his euphonium case as some sort of canoe) and was mooching for a treat to go with his lemon tea.
So, first, some Do’s & Don’ts
Check your mug is microwaveable : you want a large mug (350 ml is ideal) and you can check it’s suitability by heating on high for a minute : if it comes out HOT, try a different mug. Obviously, steer clear of your fine bone-China teacup or Granny’s best tea service with the gold rim 😉
Got a mug? Great!! So, without further a-do, let us proceed with the diabolical plan….
- Into your mug, scoop 2 tablespoons of butter and melt on high for 20-30 seconds.
- Add 1 tablespoon milk , 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1 egg then beat together.
- Next, add 3 tablespoons caster sugar , 4 tablespoons self-raising flour & a pinch ofsalt . Mix thoroughly, taking care NOT to beat in too much air.
Cooking times are dependant on your microwave and temperature of your ingredients etc, but as a guide:
- 2 min 50 sec @ 600W
- 2 min 30 sec @ 800W
- 2 min 10 sec @ 1000W
If you try these, remember to come back and tell us how you got on! In the meantime, we’re planning chocolate peanut next 🙂
The Weekly Make: I did make something, but as it is a gift for someone, I don’t want to let the surprise out until they’ve received it.
The big Monthly challenges have yet to be addressed this month but I’m sure helping edit Teen1’s 6000 word History assignment counts as a little bit of studying.
Does anyone else have a scheme to win at New Year Resolutions? Did you make any? And how are they going?
Thanks for reading, and pop back soon!
RESOLUTIONS and the likes…
Well, that’s the end of the first week of January already! The holidays certainly whooshed by and Christmas seems like a distant memory. Have you ever noticed how it takes wayyyy longer it to put the whole ruddy thing back IN the box than it does to put up? We don’t overly decorate but it still looks so bare when the trees & decorations come down 😦
My day job certainly has the holidays going for it (well it has to have some sort of positive, and it sure ain’t the snazzy uniform, fantastic pay or the little animals angels!) I finished up on the 23rd and didn’t start back until today (to choruses of “it’s only 5 weeks till the long weekend!” )
I never really get the whole NEW YEAR RESOLUTION thing, I always think if you really want to change or improve on something, you should just do it. Indeed, whenever someone asks what mine is, I usually reply “Oh, I resolved to not make one…whoops! Broken it, oh well!”
But this year I’ve decided to do something different. Instead of one BIG Resolution that will no doubt be abandoned by February, I have made a list of smaller (i.e. more ‘do-able’) challenges & ideas in the hope that at least a few might stick!
MONTHLY CHALLENGES include:
- Learning a new skill (candidates so far include crochet & calligraphy )
- STUDY!! After completing a thoroughly enjoyable MOOC last year on Archaeology, it was my intention to do more but things & stuff got in the way… Anyway, Roman Architecture starts 5th February 🙂
- SPEND MORE QUALITY TIME WITH MY OH : sounds kinda dumb but generally anytime we do ‘something’, the kids are involved too. I mean, they even tagged along when we went away for our anniversary!) I resolve to arrange a ‘date’ at least once a month, just for us. A meal out, night away, tickets for a gig, even just a takeaway & a movie on the sofa. But NO kids, NO laptops, NO work. GAH!! How will we cope??
Some WEEKLY CHALLENGES are
- Letterwriting : I have a bunch of penpal letters awaiting replies and I NEED TO DO IT rather than continue to put it off! I challenge myself to write at least ONE letter, each & every week.
- Try A New Recipe
- BLOG : I set this up then was wary of publishing anythinganything (I have a ton of draft posts loitering that I didn’t have the guts to post ) I MUST write (& publish!!) SOMETHING on here weekly. Who knows? I may even get the bug and do it more often!?!
- Make SOMETHING: I have a huge amount of crafting stash but haven’t really done a huge amount of crafting recently. I challenge myself to make at least ONE thing every week.
- PostPals! : I already participate in this great project by sending off monthly mail packs and also random envelopes but I’d love to commit to more regular participation.
- DRINK MORE WATER : I used to drink loads of water but judging by the number of plastic bottles we’ve recycled recently, I’m clearly not!!
- FLOSS MORE – I’m lazy!
Well, that’s probably more than enough of my ramblings for now…. Feel free to pop back later for Week 1’s RESOLUTION ROUNDUP!